Forum home The potting shed

Fungicide worries ...

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,713
    It is absolutely ridiculous to constantly prescribe antibiotics especially to children who almost never complete the course as they taste vile so as soon as child is a little better the medicine is thrown away. A healthy person can usually fight off many common infections themselves. If an infection persists for 2-3 weeks that is the time to consider medication in my opinion. I am no medical expert but I believe a healthy immune system is built by fighting viruses and infections without resorting to drugs. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited July 2019
    debs64 said:
    It is absolutely ridiculous to constantly prescribe antibiotics especially to children who almost never complete the course as they taste vile so as soon as child is a little better the medicine is thrown away. A healthy person can usually fight off many common infections themselves. If an infection persists for 2-3 weeks that is the time to consider medication in my opinion. I am no medical expert but I believe a healthy immune system is built by fighting viruses and infections without resorting to drugs. 
    Broadly speaking I think you're right.  BUT the key word in your post is healthy.  There are a lot fewer healthy people around than there used to be, because modern medicine enables sick people to survive.  In the developed world, we have all but abolished natural selection.  To give two examples: 

The prevalence of Type 1 diabetes mellitus has increased enormously since the development of insulin therapy.  Before that, it was self-limiting, as most people with T1DM didn't live long enough to reproduce.  With insulin therapy, most diabetics are as likely as anyone else to have children, and they will have an increased risk of T1DM compared to the children of non-diabetic parents.

Advances in neo-natal medicine and care are reducing the length of pregnancy at which premature babies may survive.  But they are extremely vulnerable to infection, and often need intravenous antibiotics.  Parents of such babies are not likely to decline treatment for the greater good of the species.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,748
    edited July 2019
    But when people who could fight the bugs without medication use them anyway, it contributes to the bugs developing resistance... thus putting the more fragile folk at greater risk. 

The same happens when fungicides are used as a non specific preventative ... the fungi develop resistance. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,423
    I think that the Doctors are aware now and don’t give out antibiotics like they used too. The surgery is full of people with colds and coughs all wanting them.

Friend of ours was ill this week, pain in left arm and across chest, (heavy smoker!) but the took him immediate tests, said it was mild pleurisy, they didn’t give him antibiotics so perhaps they are learning.  Stopping smoking may have helped, but he couldn’t wait to get outside to have a fag😱

My daughter’s in a job where she cannot be ill, she still refuses the flu jab saying she has her own built in immune system.  Hope she’s right. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,713
    Sadly I think people turn to medicine too often when it’s unnecessary and as Dove says this makes certain drugs a lot less effective so we need to maybe leave the antibiotics alone unless they are really necessary as without them life would be a lot shorter and more painful for a lot of people and as for pain killers don’t get me started! 
    Don't get me started on pain killers either, people at the doctors complaining of back ached, arm aches shoulder aches, get the painkillers then come home and dig the garden. 

We will rid ourselves soon.  

Industrial Age was good for country and economy and started the pollution, but now.... one aeroplane on a long haul flight pumps out as much pollution as one house does in a year, how many planes take off in a day all over the world? 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    One of my workmates said she'd like to visit the Maldives "before they disappear under the ocean"; another replied, "Yes, and the irony is you'll take a plane to get there."
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 832
    Lyn said

My daughter’s in a job where she cannot be ill, she still refuses the flu jab saying she has her own built in immune system.  Hope she’s right. 
    Do you mean she’s in a job where she’ll be sacked if she gets ill?  That’s rubbish, nibod6 can guarantee perfect health forever.