Forum home The potting shed

Fungicide worries ...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,973
    No need to apologise @philippa smith2
    ... I agree with you ... having not learnt from wiping out New World civilizations by taking measles/chicken pox or whatever to the Americas we’re going to risk causing problems elsewhere 

As Einstein said ... madness is to carry on doing the same thing and expect different results 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,741
    I find some of the reactions on this thread a little strange.
    Fungal resistance may be only to one drug, but when we have so few anti-fungal agents, this is a very serious problem.
    On an average year on intensive care, I probably only saw about a dozen serious fungal infections, but sadly About 10 of these would die.
    Fungal super infections are often caused, when bacterial infections have weakened the bodies normal immune response, and this often occurs due to antibiotic resistance.
    This is a very serious issue.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Farmer’s lung has been a problem for as long as there have been farmers.😕
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,723
    The point is that if spraying roses for black spot makes it impossible - however indirectly - eventually to treat ringworm or candida infections then surely we should just put up with disfigured roses, or grow peonies instead. If feeding antibiotics to chickens so that they can live a long enough miserable existence in a shed so we can buy a Bargain Bucket for 99p means no one can have any sort of open surgery, then we should let the chickens live outside and pay more for our takeaway meals.

Using powerful drugs to improve the cost effectiveness of business is a Bad Idea. Feeding ground up cow to cows is a Stupid Idea. We - the general public - never know these things are going on until it's already become a problem we can't manage.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,974
    So what is a solution? To ban fungicides? To stop trying to do things in a more efficient way? To stop technological progress?
    I personally prefer to live in a bit more dangerous world than in a world full of bans and regulations. There is a lot of "we" on this thread, "we should" or "we shouldn't", a lot of collective guilt and a lot of assuming that business profit is something bad.
    I am sorry for a political post but that is something I feel very strongly about. The will of individuals for technological progress (and profit for them, of course) is what gives us most of the good things we have today - better medicine, cheaper food (= less poverty in less developed parts of the world), longer lives and more quality of life. Yes, it has its challenges but when the alternative is to do nothing and stagnate, its certainly better to try to do something, isn't it?
    (I am going to excuse myself from this thread, I can't do this type of debates here, I visit this forum for relaxing and friendly gardening chat.)
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 202
    My apologies.  Have i lost the plot.  Fungal infections, fungal this an that.  Responding as a plant pathologist.  The prominant Black spot on roses.  Lets stop here and remind ourselves.  Black Spot also is an anemy to many other plants.  It is a fungal spore that attact various plants.  Despite various chemical treatment it still remains,  Yes it can be fatal to plants.

Turning now to fungal problems.  I read medicine for four years and so I naturally I am inclined to go with punk doc.  IMHO any form of fugicide in humans is dandgerouse.  Fungal infections establish themselve and then having gained a stronghold, they spead out.   May I rely on the support of Punk doc.  So the condition multiplies and more areas become infected.   This. sadlyr eplicates the the methodically course of most cancers. So having arrived at that BIG C.  what now.  It's your life, your future.  The next move is YOURS>
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    All progress is the exchange of one set of problems for another.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 730
    Hello everyone,

Only just spotted this thread. 
    I agree with the point that others have made to try and grow plants in the best possible conditions so that they can shrug off most problems.

I have never bought fungicides or pesticides for garden use .... but I have occasionally used a foliar spray of neem oil or baking soda to give badly affected plants a helping hand.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,723
    edhelka said:
    So what is a solution? To ban fungicides?
    No, to only use them where there is a serious risk to a human or an animal or a plant species (not an individual plant) survival. Not to use them as a preventative, as is done often in intensive farming practice. Or as a sort of panacea when there is no prospect of effective treatment as GPs seem to have done with antibiotics for virus infections. 
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”