New turf laid - rings of dead grass advice...

Hi all

we has some new turf laid two weeks ago and there are some patches of dead grass, we think it could be our cats? Any advice? Any ideas on how to grow it back? Would we need to re seed it? 

Many thanks 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,889
    Possibly ... although patches like that are usually blamed on bitches and vixens but I know of no reason why a queen’s pee shouldn’t have the same effect. 

Rake the dead grass out ... water copiously to dilute any residual nitrogen from the pee which is what causes the burned patch, and scatter some seed and keep it moist ... at this time of year it should germinate in ten days of less.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• meadows.jen3meadows.jen3 Posts: 12
    Dove from above - Thankyou for your advice, I know it may be a silly question but obviously the turf we have is from Romney marsh it’s a particular type, so do we need to try and get that particular seed or can we use any thanks 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,889
    What I always do is use whatever general lawn seed I can get but scatter some of it thinly all over the lawn to sort of blend in any slight difference in colour.  That has always worked for me 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 416
    Those tiny patches will fill out in no time, grass around them will grow in within a few weeks.
  • Kate.harriKate.harri Posts: 20
    Unfortunately, new grass seed will not match your turf.
    K
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    I'd agree with @glasgowdan. There's no need to do anything as the surrounding grass will spread into those tiny patches.  :)
    Of course, if animals are still allowed to use the grass, the problem will re occur, so you may want to address that by providing an area for them to use.
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• meadows.jen3meadows.jen3 Posts: 12
    Thankyou everyone for your advice much appreciated:)