Herpericum/st johns worst losing flowers! Just planted?

Hi all, we have just planted this St. John’s wort/hypericum not sure if that is the exact name. Unfortunately we had to remove so much concreate from the borders it’s still slightly rocky. The plant has been in about a week and now looks slightly distressed,losing flowers  does anyone know why this could be? Thanks for your help 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,940
    Individual flowers don't last long. Looks like it has plenty of buds
  • meadows.jen3meadows.jen3 Posts: 10
    Thankyou for your advice :) 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,987
    That’s natural, the flowers will die when they age. You could give the shrub a light trim after they have all faded to keep the shrub bushy.

Avoid feeding the shrub, it will make the branches grow lush and weak which can result in it flopping about. But other than that, it looks very healthy. 

Allow it a a bit of time to settle in and in time they will sit more upright and stronger. 
  • meadows.jen3meadows.jen3 Posts: 10
    Thank you that’s great advice 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 25
    My experience is that they are pretty undemanding. I found them growing down a dry north facing wall  at the side of my house, I transplanted some to a west facing border and it's a good performer.

It seeds itself between paving and in gravel, so I think your border with any  etc left over rubble etc. will be no problem.
  • These spring up everywhere in my garden and thrive no matter what happens to them 😬