Wasp nest in a bird box

Evening all, please can anyone advise with the problem of a wasp nest in a bird box? The box is situated on a detached garage but only a matter of yards from the house and whilst they aren't a problem at the moment in a matter of weeks they could well be and I react badly to their stings. Obvious solution would be to try and remove the box and destroy it somehow however that could be tempting fate. I have a can of the foam used to soak a nest that is supposed to be very good however with such a small hole on the box I'm not sure that would work. Any advice would be graetly appreciated 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,979
    At the loss of your bird box, could you not move it further away where it wouldn't be a problem ?
    If that is not possible, seal the entry hole to the box - if the wasps can't access, the eggs inside will die and hopefully the wasps will move on.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,531
    Those spray type wasp killers have a very narrow jet and you can stand about 3 metres away and you should still be able to aim it in the hole.
    Devon.
  • You can call the fire department they can try better how to remove the wasps from that place
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 586
    You can call the fire department they can try better how to remove the wasps from that place
    I'm not sure the removal of a wasps nest warrants calling the fire brigade really mate, Any delay in reaching a fire or car accident could result in loss of life. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,790
    You can call the fire department they can try better how to remove the wasps from that place
    Not in the UK you can’t. 
    If you really have to get rid of them and it sounds too dangerous for you to do anything, you could call in a pest control firm ... but are you sure they’re wasps? Tree bumbles often nest in bird boxes and they’re mild non-agressive bumble bees. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,427
    Dovefromabove said:
     but are you sure they’re wasps? Tree bumbles often nest in bird boxes and they’re mild non-agressive bumble bees. 

We had hornets nesting in our barn owl box last year  :o No bother really, just inconvenient. Wasps mostly aren't a problem until later in the year when they get sleepy. But if you react badly to stings, call a pest control company. They'll probably charge between £100 and £200 to get rid of it, but it's safer than attempting it yourself.
    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today
  • https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/tree-bumblebee-bombus-hypnorum/

Likley to be tree bumblebees. Read about moving them here. Please don’t kill them
  • markie6657markie6657 Posts: 9
    Many thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated. Just to confirm that they are definitely wasps, rest assured that had they been bees there is now way I would contemplate removing them, in fact I currently have bees in the lawn but quite what the attraction is I've no idea, certainly keeps the magpies on their guard