Forum home Problem solving

Acceptable Bay Trees?

Hi All,

Hoping for some advise as I have absolutely no idea about anything garden. I'm looking to purchase two trees from somebody local so, am wondering if these look visually acceptable. I just noted some yellow leaves that was all.

Plan would be to plant them at the front the house in new bed bed that I created. South facing with lots of sun.

Thank you in advance

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I'd sort out the bottom of the trunks. If it is bay, trim the bits off as close to the trunk as possible. If they're growing out of the compost and are part of the root, trim them back as far as you can without removing roots. I'f they're weeds, remove them. The trees look in good condition.  Even evergreens drop some dead leaves from time to time so don't worry about that. If yo want to keep them balls you will have to trim them carefully into shape by removing the longer ends. Bay is quite robust and will make a huge bush if left to it's own devices. I thought they were tender and kept one in the conservatory.  When planted outside, it grew to over 30 feet tall in a few years. 
  • ldargavelldargavel Posts: 4
    Joy* said:
    I'd sort out the bottom of the trunks. If it is bay, trim the bits off as close to the trunk as possible. If they're growing out of the compost and are part of the root, trim them back as far as you can without removing roots. I'f they're weeds, remove them. The trees look in good condition.  Even evergreens drop some dead leaves from time to time so don't worry about that. If yo want to keep them balls you will have to trim them carefully into shape by removing the longer ends. Bay is quite robust and will make a huge bush if left to it's own devices. I thought they were tender and kept one in the conservatory.  When planted outside, it grew to over 30 feet tall in a few years. 
    Super, thank you. Does trimming suitably control the height also? Last thing I want is a huge monster, but rather something that looks pretty. My understanding is that the pot controls growth, but these would be let free.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    They don’t grow that fast, you will just need to trim them once or twice a year to keep them to the size you want. And they would certainly be happier planted out than kept in a pot. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Much easier to plant them in the ground. The trees look very healthy. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    In the spring/summer I have to prune my bush every three weeks to keep it desired proportions. As it were.
    About four feet in my case.
    The bays long to be about 100 ft tall, when in the ground.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    The trunk wont get longer, you just need to keep the ball at the top trimmed to keep it in shape. If you don't trim it the shoots which form the ball will grow skywards. If you put them in the ground they will be easier to look after but alternatively if the pots are big enough they will be ok for perhaps a few years.