Leaves on Jasmine turning red

Hello. I'm having a problem with my Jasmine that's currently in a pot as it didn't seem to like my garden. It's sort of growing a bit but every time I water the pot, a few days later, a few leaves turn blotchy red and drop off. I've attached a few pics to see if anyone can help. Thanks

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,010
    I'd hazard a guess that you need to re pot.  The compost seems to have shrunk away from the sides of your pot and it looks as if you have fine roots showing on the surface tho a bit difficult to tell from the pic.  Terracotta pots dry out far more quickly than you always think too.  Don't know what Jasmine it is but on the whole, they are all vigorous growers and would be happier in the ground if you could manage it.  
  • shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 66
    thanks for the reply. the plant hadn't been watered when i took the picture and has only been in the pot for a few weeks. it hasn't grown very much at all. the reason for it being in a pot is because it wasn't at all happy in the garden either. i'm at a loss as to what to do with it. i may leave it in the post for this year and see how it is next year.   
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 859

Agree with philippa smith2 it looks like it needs repotting it looks pot bound to me.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,010
    Shazza - if you can't find a suitable spot in your garden, could I suggest that you "ruffle" the compost about a bit - make sure the sides of the pot are full and that roots are not coming out of the bottom -  put more compost on the top as well.
    If it was a new plant, perhaps you didn't give it enough time to settle in the garden ?  They take a while to get used to being transplanted and sometimes if the weather conditions are not too good, you may need to nurture and wait 12 months before they begin to take off. 
    Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction :)
  • shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 66
    hi, sorry i didn't realise that you had posted another comment. to be honest, i can't remember if i bought the plant or whether a work colleague gave it to me as i always keep the planting instructions for quite a while after putting the plant in the garden but i am unable to find one for this. anyway, i am going to have a reshuffle of things next spring and will find somewhere for this to go. i will add more compost to the top of the pot tomorrow and make sure that it's well watered. we did have a very dry summer last year and i made sure that it was well watered even though it was protected slightly from the sun/heat, but it never really put on any new growth and that's why i decided to dig it up and put it in a pot for this year. thanks for all the advice.