What shall I plant under my roses

I have 2 roses under my sitting room window (Queen of Sweden) that are behind a small box hedge as you can see from the images.(Sorry I cannot get the images to stay rotated)
I think the gap between the bottom of rose and the top of the hedge looks a bit odd so I am thinking of planting something to fill the space.
For spring there are already some bluebell and daffodils there but otherwise it is a bit sparce.
I am thinking of lavender but wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525
    Nepeta looks good under roses. Alchemilla mollis also works well. If you don’t want it to spread just remove the flowers before they seed. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    For a similar colour to lavender, I use Nepeta under pink roses. The Nepeta to seems to cope better with the richer conditions (and feeding) that roses need but still mix in some grit, especially if its clay soil. Lavender needs a not-too-rich, gritty soil with good drainage so might struggle there. Does it get good sun? Most perennials will want to lean out from the wall, especially of its a bit shady.
  • oooftoooft Posts: 154
    I don't think lavender and roses have the same feeding and watering requirements. They may not have a long and happy marriage. Nepeta and salvia are great bedfellows for roses
  • HortusHortus Posts: 36
    It is interesting that you have all come back with similar answers.
    I was concerned about the soil type as my soil is stony/sandy so would be great for the lavender but I have to mulch the roses.
    The front of the house is the shadier side but it does still get a reasonable amount of sun.
    I do like the sound of Alchemilla mollis as the citrus green would look good against the dark green of the box and will only come into flower once the spring bulbs have gone over.
    Thanks everyone!
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 140
    Another option is penstemon. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    We must have all been typing at the same time! 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916
    Just be careful they don't block the airbricks.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,924
    No one has mentioned hardy geranium.
    I have G. Patricia climbing up the bare lower stems of a Rose, looks very good.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 303
    I have lavender close to roses on sandy soil and happy but I am not sure if you have enough sun for them there. Also, I am not sure how big is the gap. You don't want to plant too close to the roses.
    I would do some of the hardy geraniums.