Forum home Plants

Agapanthus Tinkerbell

StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
Purchased 4 Agapanthus Tinkerbell in 2 litre pots from Bressingham Nursery in January of this year.
When they arrived I was pleased  with the health and abundance of the foliage which is variegated. As it’s was winter, I left them in my greenhouse for protection and eventually planted them out in my garden in late April. They were planted in an area that receives a good 8 hours of sun and I added adequate compost and FBB in to the planting mix.
They have been watered every week and particularly in the hot weather as they are new plants. 
My problem is that we are now in to early July and these plants have not added any more foliage and no sign of flower shoots 
I emaied Bressingham with my concerns and they have replied that this Agapanthus is a bit slow in growth and to basically to except their present growth rate. 
Surprising also that they stated in their reply that this Agapanthus is brought for its foliage as much as it flower. I dont completely agree with that statement.
Does anyone else have this particular Agapanthus in their garden and could you confirm how it is growing and flowering. Are my concerns on its growth rate invalid 

With thanks 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873
    I haven't got that particular one, but Agapanthus in general are notorious for not flowering until they have settled in.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,683
    I think they are one of those plants that like their roots restricted.  I grow mine in pots and they have flowered from the first year.  My friend grows hers in pots and sinks the pots in the garden, she leaves them there through the winter.  I overwinter most of mine in a cool greenhouse.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands