Forum home Problem solving

Unknown plant in my lawn

Can anyone identify what this is sprouting in my lawn please as I have a lot of it and how do i stop it 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,173
    A photo would be useful.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    If photos won’t upload reducing the size usually works. . 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sorry i didn't realise the photo was not uploaded 
    Those look like possible suckers from the roots of a tree or shrub ... either one that used to be there and was removed but some roots were left, or a tree or shrub still growing in the vicinity ... have a look around for something with similar shaped leaves ... not necessarily with the same red colouring. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    look like Rhus Typhina suckers
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    look like Rhus Typhina suckers
    Yes ... or something along those lines. 

• Thanks for the comments. Do i need to dig them out or is there a chemical i can use 
    You can dab the individual plants with glyphosate gel ... over time the chemical will travel back to the roots and kill them. You have to be aware that this is likely to cause damage/death to the parent tree as well.

Do read up on glyphosate online before using as there are possible issues which leads to some Gardeners preferring not to use it and it is banned in some countries. 

Many people just keep mowing the lawn frequently to control the problem and eventually the plant gives up. 
    If the problem is in a flower bed it’s easier to dig down and remove.