Forum home Problem solving

Clematis wilt?

My Montana clematis has collapsed and shrivelled up. At first I thought it had wilted due to the high temperature and lack of rain so I gave it a really good soak. This didn't perk it up and the leaves just dried and went crisp. 

Could this be the dreaded clematis wilt? I thought Montana's were pretty resistant. I have a good healthy cutti g I took but I assume that I can't put another clematis there. 

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    I don't think wilt affects them, mine has gone the same I think it is the weather.
    Also mine is in a pot.
    I see some green bits to the right on yours. Are you sure it has not sustained some damage to the stems somehow?
    There is another thingy wotsit slime flux type disease which can affect them.
    I am going to cut mine back hard although it is a bit late.

I would take a closer look at your stems to see if you can see any physical damage.
    But i do think it might be the weather.

I think it has two chances, one good one bad. Cut it back, feed, water and mulch but not too deeply .

Glad to hear you have a cutting rooted. I am pants at clematis cuttings.
    Good Luck.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Ruby, yes I did have a close look at the stems when I look the photo but can't see anything wrong there. The green bits are wilting too. It seems to be working back from the newer growth. 

I gave it another good watering tonight and I will wait and see. I think i will Cut it right back if the die back ends. Strange thing is that this same clematis went right through last years drought fine.

If it's a gonner then I'm thinking of a honey suckle or jasmine for that spot. It gets some shade around the lower half most of the time. 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,993
    Montana's do not normally get Wilt. If it died from the top down, then it is more likely either drought, or damage to the stems. Wilt starts at the bottom and works upwards.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Thanks Palustris, must be the dry then. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305
    the trouble is, once it starts to wilt, it's already BEEN dry, so the horse has bolted so to speak. 
    Our resident clematis expert @Richard Hodson is the guy to sort it out.
    Devon.