Plum tree woes

BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 749
What's up with my plum tree. All the leaves are going yellow and brown. I planted it early last spring as a bare root 

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 749

I know I've upset people on here which i apologise immensely for but can someone please answer my question. I've researched it on Google but I'm not certain. Once again apologies for my past behaviour 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453
    edited 10 July
    Last summer was a particularly harsh one for new plantings to get established, so it could be a result of that. I think there are all kinds of things happening now that stem from that drought. Also, in my very limited experience (one tree!) plum trees are a bit disease prone too, but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess about what it might be - you've probably got as good an idea as I have!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,613
    A photograph of the whole tree might give us more of a clue 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,345
    I think I'd say the same as LG - last year wasn't too clever for establishing a bare root tree even if you were out there every 10 mins seeing to it.  This year hasn't been too helpful either.
    There does seem to be a lot of other vegetation around it but as Dovefromabove says, a pic of the whole tree would help.
    My experience of Plum trees has only been with old inherited ones but they do seem prone to everything under the sun. Having said that,once they reach fruiting size they can produce a decent harvest even if they look a bit rough. 
    Sorry - not much help really.
  • leese815leese815 Posts: 8
    We've had a similar problem with our tree. At first I thought it was due to the dry spell but it seemed to get worse, despite frequent watering. We moved some wood that we were using to smother couch grass and found an ant nest.

If the yellowing keeps getting worse, despite watering, perhaps check the base of the tree.

We're hoping that ours will recover but it's not looking too happy at the moment.
    Thank you for the replies. There is vegetation around the tree but it's not overcrowded and no other plants are touching it. The Base of the tree is kept weed free and given a weekly soaking. No ants present. The only other thing I can think is it has 3 main branches one of which was snapped half way though. I splinted and taped it up but maybe infection got in
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,942
    I think the branch damage might be the problem. Looking at the photo, is that the branch that's broken/split, and are the dead leaves only on that branch, or is it all foliage that's affected ?
    Ants don't cause that kind of issue, so it's not that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

All the foliage is like that on all 3 branches starting at the tips it seems
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,942
    If it's not weather related or lack of water, it sounds like it could be an infection of some kind.
    Difficult without more photos showing the whole tree and the damaged part though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....