Forum home Problem solving

Clematis Rescue

Hi all.
Saved a load of Clematis today from the green recycling section of a nursery and looking for advice on bringing them back to life.
Most are under 18" in total, and are in various states of dead... with some looking like a quick water and feed will sort them, and others looking like every leaf and stem has succumbed to a lack of water/feed before being returned to the nursery. 
Should I be cutting back or removing dead leaves to assist the regrowth, or just feeding and keeping watered to start with?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    I'd remove anything dead, Martin, and only water them. Food won't be of any use to them just now. 
    I'm assuming you've still got them in pots? You can repot them too, as that will give them a chance to recover, and keep them out of hot sun. A semi shaded spot wil lbe ideal for them just now until they get going. It's surprising how they can come back  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• cyprycypry Posts: 21
    Thanks Fairygirl.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    I agree with Fairy absolutely and definitely no feed, the worse thing you can do with any sick plant is feed it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I forgot to ask you - do you know which varieties you have? Many benefit from planting a bit deeper, as they will then throw up more shoots. Some wouldn't benefit from that though.

Fairygirl said:
    I forgot to ask you - do you know which varieties you have? 
    TBH, I have no idea, the only labelling just says "Mixed" so I am at a loss until some start to recover a bit.
    No problem - just keep them watered, let them recover, and cross your fingers that a few do well.
    Once you get some new growth, and some flowers next year, it'll be easier to identify them, and then you'll get more advice as to the future care.  It's more than likely they'll be  relatively common ones, which will be reasonably easy to maintain, and it's just a case of being patient and potting on as they grow.
    It may take a while before they look much though  :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I agree with FG and Lyn and would just add "Be patient".   They may repond very quickly or they may take months or even a year or more but rehydration is the key to rescuing them.   Good luck.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for all your help...
    My little babies are coming on well after a re-potting and a little care and water.
    Two have since flowered, with another two showing some good flower buds that will burst soon.
    Only one has gone backwards, though i expect it to show signs of recovery at some point regardless.
    Of the original 31 I rescued, 6 could only be classed as on their way to plant heaven, but even 5 of those 6 are giving out new leaves and good signs of recovery.

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 563
    Wow what a find! Well done for rescuing them,  you'll have a gorgeous display!