Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hoverflies

Please can anyone help? I seem to have a lot of hoverflies on my glass roof just outside my back door How can I deter them? or help them move on?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    edited July 2019
    I don't understand why you feel you need to move them on. They're completely harmless  :)
    Are you sure they're hoverflies? A pic would help with more advice  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    We have loads of hoverflies around this year - more than I've ever seen before. I rather like them, especially the way they come up to me and appear to be doing a quick inspection before moving on. I expect they're really just checking whether I'm covered with delicious aphids though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,126
    Hoverflies are wonderful ... they eat aphids <3
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Leave them be. They ain't doing no harm. I do have to save mine in the greenhouse regularly as they get in but can't get back out
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 204
    I do understand why @abby.07 is asking this. Hover flies are fantastic in the garden, but I imagine that as they are by the back door, they are entering the house easily? And no doubt getting trapped/dying. So it's in the interest of the flies to move them on if possible. And no one likes a house full of flies no matter what type they are. I certainly wouldn't. I'm sorry I can't help you abby, i dont know what the answer is but I do understand why you would want to move them on. Good luck
  • abby.07abby.07 Posts: 9
    Thank you for your comments, I don't mind them, its just that they are coming into the house as Ericaheather mentioned. I just want to encourage them to move slightly away from the house. I realise they do so much good in the garden. I would be grateful for any tips. thank you
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Grow something they like? 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,626
    edited July 2019
    Put up a temporary net curtain across the door?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551
    Yes, a barrier at the door and some plants away from the door to entice them away.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,126
    ‘Our’ hoverflies are all over the fennel flowers at the moment ... they love them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh