Forum home Problem solving

Acer palmatum " red pygmy" shriveled leaves

I have had this Acer in he ground for two years, last year I had no problems with it.
in the last few days I have noticed the leaves are shriveled and crispy. I did give it a watering can of miracle gro (general purpose) high in nitrogen. could  this be the problem or do I have another issue. can the acer be saved ….? 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    Acers don't like strong wind, and those with dissected leaves suffer most.  Has it been windy round your way?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • a bit windy but there is a fence panel about 8 inches to the right of that photo. that said there is the side entrance to the garden directly behind it but screened by a gate. But it was ok last year
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Wind and insufficient water? 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    Acres seem to be struggling this year. My own new one is in a similar state and after looking around old posts it seems we are not alone. I’m pretty sure it was hot dry wind that had done mine. 
  • will it survive and come again next year ?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    Hopefully it will... make sure the soil doesn't dry out.

Another cause for the shrivelled leaves could be strong sunshine on wet leaves, perhaps.  They like dappled shade, ideally, as well as shelter from wind, and soil which is moist but not waterlogged. 
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I have an Acer like yours which I bought in France where we lived. It was in a large pot. The first year, when we came back to the UK  during the summer, it didn't get enough water and the leaves dried to a crisp and the bark was wizened. I nursed it back to health and some years later, when we had a real heatwave, with temperatures in the high 30s for weeks, it started to look seedy so I dug a huge hole about a metre square, filled it with good soil and ericaceous compost to save its life. During the winter the hole acted as a sump and filled with water. In the spring when the water drained, it grew beautifully until the deer ate all the leaves off the bottom branches. When we were planning to return to the UK,  I dug it up in November, to bring it back. It came back with its bare roots in a plastic carrier as all the compost dropped off. After several days, I planted in a large pot. It is now about 4 feet tall, outgrowing the garden and is admired by everyone.  Never give up, acers are obviously very tough indeed. 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    That’s great to hear Joy as I’m really hoping I have not lost mine too. I noticed today that a few of the leaves have opened out again and the bark is still nicely green and pliable. The one I lost a couple of years ago went brittle and the bark peeled.
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    I have a similar Acer that was looking great, but I recently noticed the leaves are a bit shriveled. The only thing I can think of is that it has got scorched by the sun, as we've had some very sunny days lately.