Compact Flower for a Gift Basket

HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 276
At least once a month I am responsible for putting together a gift basket for our business clients. I used to use the mini-phalaenopsis orchids for the center piece, as they were short, compact, and had lots of colour. Well, I got sick of having to take care of the extras, and waiting around for them to bloom again-which they did not-and resolved not to use them again.
This spring I have been using kalanchoe from our garden center. I was delighted at how long the blooms lasted on the extras I stockpiled. Sadly the blooms do seem to be getting less, and I need alternatives for the coming months.
I attempted English Lavender, but the 6" pot was pushing it. Ideally I need something that sits under 8" tall. Looking for suggestions. Have considered designing some of my own air plant holders. Our garden center had them growing out of sea shells, and the effect was what we are going for. I would not give non-blooming succulents, or cacti to people I do not know....or at all, really...
We have tonnes of wild violets here that I could pot up and store for the early spring.
Worst case scenario, I could only pick up the orchids at the last minute to ensure they do not have to reside here :#
Mini daffodils could be made to work, but all my ideas are now limited to early spring-anyone have any ideas for year round interest indoors? What would you like to receive in a small plant pot?
Many thanks

• bullfinchbullfinch Posts: 204
    That's a lovely gift. Would something like an African violet be suitable?  Or perhaps a streptocarpus, though they could be a bit big. My aunt used to have lots and they always flowered for a long time.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,369
    Would a small fuchsia be good?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 276
    Great ideas! I will have to keep an eye out for them. It says they are common, but I don't recall having seen a streptocarpus before. They come in some very striking colours.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    Does it have to be flowers?  Cacti and succulents are very popular at the moment, and easy to care for if the recipients aren't really "plant people".
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 276
    "African violets, formerly in their own botanical genus Saintpaulia are now included within Streptocarpus." Interesting.