Forum home Plants

Trailing Perennial for Pillar Pot

Hi all,

I have 2 pillars in my front garden which have a potting space in the top of them, I wanted to plant something with pretty flowers that'll trail down the pillars. I initially wanted Morning Glories but I understand these usually die in frost so aren't perennial. 

I had thought about Jasmine but not sure if it would trail down? 

Photos of pillar and planting space attached, just to add they're south facing so get lots of sun. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!


«1

Posts

  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    Is there any drainage? If not, you would be limited to plants that can take soggy soil in winter and dry soil in summer - not many can. Or to shallow rooting plants/annuals growing in the top third. In any case, it will get dry in summer quickly and won't be easy to water.
  • edhelka said:
    Is there any drainage? If not, you would be limited to plants that can take soggy soil in winter and dry soil in summer - not many can. Or to shallow rooting plants/annuals growing in the top third. In any case, it will get dry in summer quickly and won't be easy to water.
    I'm not sure, I'll pull all the leaves out and check. If not though I can drill some holes in the sides so shouldn't be a problem hopefully! 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,963
    I would drill them in the sides at the bottom, if you need holes.
  • Fire said:
    I would drill them in the sides at the bottom, if you need holes.
    Yes that was my though exactly! 
  • Just checked and theres no drainage but I can make some. I also have absolutely no idea how that holly sapling is growing in there😂
  • Any ideas for some nice flowering, trailing perennials please? 
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,121
    Why perennials there is a really wide choice of trailing annuals available? They would provide lots of colour all through the summer for a low initial outlay and you could ring the changes every year. 
  • debs64 said:
    Why perennials there is a really wide choice of trailing annuals available? They would provide lots of colour all through the summer for a low initial outlay and you could ring the changes every year. 
    I think I'm just being lazy really and don't want to have to sow new seeds and replant every year. Might just have to suck it up though😂

    But I'm getting tempted more and and more to do Morning Glories as I love them. 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,686
    Presumably it's going to get roasting hot and dry in summer? Erigeron karvinskianus should be able to handle that and certainly trails a bit. Related image
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • WillDB said:
    Presumably it's going to get roasting hot and dry in summer? Erigeron karvinskianus should be able to handle that and certainly trails a bit. Related image
    Oh now that does look lovely! I may have to do one with Morning Glory and one with that! Thank you. 
Sign In or Register to comment.