Wildside, Devon

JemulaJemula Posts: 81
Amazing garden on Gardeners' World.  Just wondering if anyone has feedback from visiting?

• lilysillylilysilly Posts: 408
    I had never heard of it before last night's gardeners world, and really want to visit it now. 
    I've been to the Garden House a couple of times, in the same nearby area which is a great place to visit too. I don't know how well known it is here in Devon, well it's certainly going to be popular now. I've not had anyone mention it to me before and I know many people now who visit gardens.

Anyhow, I had a look online and its only open on certain days. I can make it there on it's last open days of the summer at the end of this month. It's only £6.50 admission which seems a good price for a garden that appeared on TV to be amazing.
    So I will have photos to share then.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,799
    It was a lovely garden, and l'd never heard of it before either.
    Trying to work out a way to get there for one of the open days, l suspect it may get quite busy !
    http://www.wileyatwildside.com/index.html
  • JemulaJemula Posts: 81
    Look forward to seeing your photos @lilysilly.  It's a long way from where I live.
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 408
    @Jemula, I can only go because we are popping down to Cornwall to visit family for a few days, and it's kind of on the way.
    There are so many gardens I'd love to visit in the UK, that my OH considers too far away, Norfolk for example. He's promised that when we retire we can go anywhere I want as we'll have more time. Only 17 years to wait then.
    It's lovely down here in Devon but I sometimes wish we were further up country!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,282
    I live close to both of those places if anyone wants to arrange a meet.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,447
    edited 7 July
    Keith Wild used to be the head gardener/designer at the Garden House but I suspect fell out with the Trustees and left some years ago now to set up his own garden nearby (from memory, I think it's in the same lane within a mile or so but better check. You will need a car to get there as it's in the middle of nowhere. Buckland Monochorum is the nearest village, off the Plymouth to Tavistock road, past the cattle grids marking the entrance to Dartmoor proper. The Garden House has a café and has loo's, not sure about Wildside. It looked a really lovely garden didn't it?  It's not easy to find the Garden House and I wouldn't rely on a satnav. Better off with an OS map!  A word of warning, some of the tiny, tiny lanes around there (literally one car wide with no passing places and high hedges either side) can be an utter nightmare so stick to the main road into and out of the village.
    I think the garden house is marked all the way. 
    It’s not off the beaten track I don’t think. It costs 9.00 entry but you can use your GW 2 for 1 card.
    Endsleigh gardens is close by and is very nice, also on the GW card. 
    At the Wildlife garden, theres no cafe and the nursery isn’t open to the public although they will have plants for sale on the visiting days. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,447
    @Lyn, I haven't been for a few years, but think Buck Mono is about 4 to 5 miles from the main Tavistock road?  You're right, The Garden House is signposted, but the second one is easy to miss. I love Buck Mono, did a lot of family history in that area when my daughter lived in Plymouth. 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,453
    It did look absolutely wonderful, didn't it? Not planning on being Devon anytime soon, but would to visit that garden at some point, and The Garden House. Google maps reckons it's possible to get a bus to within a mile. Just depends on how amenable the roads are to walking for that last 12 minutes...

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    Aerial view of Wildside, shame we’re not allowed in the poly tunnels.