Forum home Fruit & veg

Raspberries

widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 351
Am having a lot of raspberries this year, what I want to know is, there is one or two big new stems with no fruit on them, are they next years ones to fruit, and do I cut of the ones which have fruit on them now, if so when, I have them in a large deep trough, thanks for any advice.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,182
    what variety did you buy ? summer fruiting variety fruit on last year wood - autumn fruiting variety fruit on this year growth. 
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 351
    Hi not sure of variety, but they are full of fruit now so would think summer, this is the second year, don't think I did any pruning last year they were small, but had fruit last year 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    With summer-fruiting varieties, you wait until they finish fruiting and then cut all of the canes which fruited back to the ground, leaving all of the new unfruited canes (which will bear next year's crop) alone.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,902
    I remember when Bob helped me with mine,  I had one plant a couple of years ago, now I have two rows, 8’ long full of plants, also extras I’ve give away and they come up all over the lawn about 20’ away! 
    Thanks Bob 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks a lot Bob, that's just what I want, plain easy answer, bless you XX
    edited July 2019
    Hi Lyn, I remember !  :)
    @widgetwilk annIf you see any small flowers forming this year on the big new canes you mention, come back to this thread and let us know as this would mean you have a different type which need pruning in another way.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806
    I have some summer raspberries (Glen Ample) of the same age. They're growing vigorously and cropping well this year but the bed is now so thick with new canes that they seem a bit crowded -some of the fruits in the middle of the bed seem quite small. I think when I cut back this year's canes I will have to thin the new growth out a bit - does that make sense?
    edited July 2019
    BobTheGardener, hope this photo is clear but there looks like white flowers on the new cane, which is quite tall,

edited July 2019
    Hi @widgetwilk ann , if the flowering cane in that last photo has all grown from the ground starting in spring this year, then I think you have an autumn-fruiting variety.  If you don't prune this type completely back to the ground in February, the previous year's canes will produce an early crop on sideshoots and any new canes which appeared in spring will produce the normal autumn crop, although it will be much smaller than normal.
    You can now choose to do either of the following:
    1. Cut all of the canes right back to the ground in February.  This will restore the 'normal' autumn cropping pattern and will result in one heavy crop in late summer/autumn.
    2. Cut any cane which has borne fruit down to the ground, immediately after harvesting the fruit from that cane.  This will give you two crops, one early and one late but both crops will be relatively small.
    I would normally recommend 1) but if you are happy with the amount of fruit you are getting then 2) is fine and saves you from growing both a summer and an autumn variety.
    Thanks, think I understand, I can't remember doing anything this time last year, can't remember cutting anything down, so you could be right the poor plant does not know if it is summer or autumn fruit, I have already cut down the canes which had fruit this year, so if I leave the new ones with 'flower's on, and see what happens, then cut then down to ground in February,
    Just wish I could find label or remember the name of them.
    Thanks for help.