Forum home Wildlife gardening

Label maker

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
I am looking at getting a label maker for my plant label ID's.
Nothing too expensive.
Firstly should the labels be embossed or flat laminate?
Does the glue on the tape stick properly to the label?
Does the lettering fade,how durable are they etc etc.?
Brother or Dymo etc.?
Are they really worth it or should I stick to writing my own?
Just looking for the pro's and con's from anyone who uses one.
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    I have a Brother garden labeller. P -touch.  You need to use laminated labels  otherwise they fade. They stick well onto plastic strip labels.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I write my own with an indelible pen suitable for the garden. Bought it for £1.50 from the garden depot in my local hardware shop. (An ordinary indelible marker faded away - I don't know why!)
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    Joy* said:
    I write my own with an indelible pen suitable for the garden. Bought it for £1.50 from the garden depot in my local hardware shop. (An ordinary indelible marker faded away - I don't know why!)
    This is what I do now but even as you know indelible markers still fade.I have tried metal markers which you scratch the name onto but I find I cannot read them easily and work out fairly pricey.
    So I am looking for something that is easy to read,won't fade for at least a few years and inexpensive!
    These are the three I have 'shortlisted' so far!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-GL-H105-Printer-Labeller-Handheld/dp/B00I5JOQEY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3OVO84WSUMGI5&keywords=brother+garden+label+printer&qid=1562492525&s=gateway&sprefix=brother+garde%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dymo-S0717930-Omega-Embossing-Label/dp/B000O78DZI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Dymo+Omega+Home+Embossing+Label+Maker&qid=1562492784&s=gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0032O7J0U/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,527
    I have had a Brother P-touch labeller for some years now and am very pleased with it. As we used to open the garden for the NGS, I labelled most plants which worked out quite expensive - big garden = lots of plants!  I use the black on white tapes which work well and are slightly cheaper than the white on black ones from memory. The tape cartridges are about £15 a pop so not cheap but the labels do last and stick well. I find that the white plastic labels get brittle and break before the labels do.
    Hi @Lizzie27 . I have the third version you have listed. I don't think that the tape would be very durable in the garden. I have some plastic tape which I use to label food containers I keep in the kitchen. They withstand wiping with a damp cloth but if I want to wash the container, I 'park' the label elsewhere. After a while it loses its power to stick so I make a new one. The tape isn't expensive.  I don't think it would stay put if I put it in the washing up water so doubt that it would in the weather outside. 
    edited July 2019
    @ Joy*We can't be talking about the same tape. Some of my labels are 8 or 9 years old by now and have been out in the garden in all weathers. They very rarely become unstuck.
    We're not because mine is a Dymo mentioned by Madpenguin!:)
    Mine's a Brother!