Forum home Plants

Smilicima racamosa

How to care for these plants

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,159
    They are shade plants but don't seem fussy otherwise. My garden is very alkaline and they do well

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,065
    Dead easy ! A relative of Solomon's Seal and nowadays known as Maianthemum racemosa .
    An early flowering perennial , very hardy and reliable .
    Sun or partial shade in a good loamy soil suits them best .
    A typical 'woodland' plant as I call them ; mine has thrived for years alongside another 'dwarf' form , Maianthemum stellata .
    You won't have any problems with it at all !
    Best of luck . :)
  • Thank you so much. Some of the leaves on two of the four small plants I bought have gone dry at the top. Someone said it would be saw fly. I haven't seen any traces of eggs or insects though.
    not sawfly larvae, when they come round there is no leaf left to go brown. I don't think the SS sawfly larvae go after these. My SS always has them but not this. Dry, sun or wind more likely

• Thanks for this information. The plant that's more shaded is doing well .It will be the sun. I loved this plant when I saw it for the first time in May during the GW cruise.
    I like it as well. I may propagate and replace my large patch of Solomon's Seal

• If i get to your stage, I'll ask for help.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,237
    That's very interesting re the sawfly, something that puts me off SS. Saw Smilacenia in the woods at Lea Rhododendron Garden last year, beautiful plant (loved the smell). Does the foliage stay smart throughout summer or does it get tatty?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,025
    Mine looks ok in summer unless the slugs find it.

@nutcutlet - I'm really interested it does well in your alkaline soil.  The books say it needs acid soil, which is what I have here.  I'd resigned myself to leaving it behind here and not trying it in my new (rather alkaline) garden - but it sounds as if it would be worth giving it a go...  
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
    I didn't know it was supposed to need acid soil :)