Forum home Wildlife gardening

Please, Please Help

While moving some slabs in the garden just now we have disturbed a Hedgehog and to babies. While my son finished moving the slab (it was to heavy just to mov I have left the bricks there and covered it with a large piece of wood. Will they stay or will she abandon her babies. Please say they will stay I'm really upset about this. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,988
    I think they'll be fine. I had a mum and 2 babies this time last year which I think had been disturbed by work going on in a nearby garden. They were very happy in behind some shrubs in a little border.
    One thing I did though, was to provide food, as the ground was very dry and it was difficult for mum to get into the soil to any depth for food. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Thank you so much for your reply Fairygirl. We are working on the other end of the garden now and won't disturb them as we're to far away. The funny thing is the hog house I made for them they've not used but found an opening under the small patio and nested there. Thank you again for your reply, off to help son and tell him as he is also feeling guilty.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,149
    I agree with Fairy ... many years ago we were clearing out a shed and pulled out a big bag of old shirts that had been put there to use as paint rags. The bag was thrown onto a heap of rubbish which was about to be burnt, when we saw a hedgehog and two babies emerging from the bag 😱

All we could do was scoop them up into a cardboard box with hay from the children’s pet rabbits and put the box on its side in a quiet corner down behind the compost heap.  We kept the dog away from that end of the garden and put out food and water and left them alone. 

When we investigated carefully a week later they were no longer there ... don’t know where they’d gone but wherever it was mum had taken her little ones with her. 

These things happen ... you’ve not done anything wrong ... you’ll do the best you can to sort it out for them and we’ll all keep our fingers crossed 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    edited July 2019
    I wouldn't  be too concerned @NannaBoo. Just keep an eye out from a distance. If you see any babies out of the nest on their own,  then it is likely that mum has abandoned them and then that's the time to step in.  Maybe just have a cardboard box with some old towels in to hand just in case you need to step in quickly, as they are very vulnerable to predators outside. Do you have a rescue nearby? 
    Don't fret too much , these things happen,  and you did the right thing. Just make sure there is food and water nearby.  :)
    http://snuffles-rescue.com/if-you-find-a-nest/
    Dovefromabove and AnniD Thank you for your advice and reassurance. I have just put two lots of food down one where I normally feed them and one over where they are the same with water. I have never seen the babies so small so cute but tiny. I have a cardboard box with straw and fallen leave ready just incase she goes of but fingers crossed she doesn't. 

Thanks for the link AnniD just about to have a look at it and also see if there is someone local to take then if she leaves them. Once the babies are old enough to go out into the wild do they bring them back to your garden or just find somewhere to release them, would be nice for them to come back but as long as their alive and safe that all I care about. 

I was going to plant the tree there tomorrow but that will have to wait, I'll just put it into a large tab for now. How long do you think I should leave that area undisturbed. The babies although not very big have their proper spines. 
    @NannaBoo, rescues will do their utmost to return the hoglets go the area where they were born, if not to the exact garden, to one as nearby as possible. 
    It's normally when the hoglets are around 8 weeks old that mum leaves them to get on with it.   :)
    Thanks AnniD, there's a good chance they will bring them back here then as we have a wild area plus lots of cover. The only other place would be by the lake but then it's always busy with families and fishermen. I'll try and have a peak when I get back tomorrow and see if they are all together and still there. When my son move the slab and I covered it over it could have been as long as 5 mins we were so quick as the wood was one the side. I've looked in the hog house and it's not been used also she is very lucky she still has the babies as we have been seeing rats around which we think we might have not got rid of. These little hogs I'd say are around 2 or 3 inches long but couldn't see the properly as they were snuggled up with mum. Would you have any idea how old the might be they have there proper spines?
    Got to be honest @NannaBoo, l couldn't really say. They start growing spines almost as soon as they are born, so it's difficult to tell from that, it's more by the size of them. If they are still close to mum l would hazard a guess at maybe 2 to 3 weeks, but that really is a guess. It's entirely up to you and l appreciate your concern, but it may be better not to even a risk a very quick peek. If you have got a local rescue it would be best to contact them, they are always happy to answer any queries and can advise. 
    Failing that, you could call the British Hedgehog Preservation Society on 01584 890 801, they are also happy to help. 
    Sometimes it's difficult to know what to do for the best, and professional advice is the way to go.  :) 
    There is a Tiggywinkles over in Aylesbury I'm just looking for their number and direction and I'll give the a ring and see what they advise.  
    Let me know what they say, if you don't mind @NannaBoo , l'd be interested to know. (You can PM me if you'd rather).  :)