Climbing rose only has foliage at top

As you can see in my picture this beautiful pink rose has lovely blooms, but only has foliage on the top half. How could I stimulate growth on the bare lower half?
It is very vigorous, it has already flowered this June and I cut the top back to the roof you can see and it has already grown that much again. Thanks

• chats42chats42 Posts: 15
    Trying again with the photo! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,347
    edited 6 July
    try to get the branches less vertical, and more horizontal by attaching wires to the fence.
    You could leave it until the leaves fall off , or fix the wires then get somoene to carefully help you hold things into place as you tie them in.
    Devon.
  • chats42chats42 Posts: 15
    Hello, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply. The rose had lovely flowers and is still producing buds! (Although I doubt they'll come out now it's frosty.) I don't have room to spread it out horizontally. I think the best thing is to grow a shrub under it next year to cover the bare bit!
    the following year you'll need a very tall shrub as the flowers will be even higher up.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    Very interesting videos. I found another one about Pegging a rose
    So maybe the OP could have a go in spring, bringing down those top canes and looping them over and tying them to bits further down the plant?
    some folk ask for help then just give reasons why they can't follow any advice given. hey ho.
    Devon.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    some folk get annoyed that someone hasn't taken their advice but hey ho.
  • Another option if you don’t want to or can’t train in horizontally across the fence is to do something like this:

Cut it back hard and then train the new stems in a zig zagging way up the panel. You could screw vine eyes into the fence posts and erect wires at regular intervals going up. Then you tie the rose stems to that trying to keep them as close to horizontal as possible. Because if you can keep them between horizontal and 45 degrees then they will more readily throw out side shoots which will bear more flowers. Also, by training them like that starting low down, you will get foliage and flowers at a lower level.

Or Hexagons idea about pegging could work well too. Would make it look a bit like a weeping form tree, which would be nice. It looks quite like a standard the way it has grown.
    Hexagon said:
    some folk get annoyed that someone hasn't taken their advice but hey ho.
    it's just words on a screen.I couldn't give a toss.
     I just wonder why they bother asking, as you've demonstrated, there's plenty of room there to train it. Pound to a penny it won't be done though
    Devon.