Forum home Problem solving

Weedkiller question, that old chestnut

Since the weedkiller / glyphosate issues have changed things, what are peoples views on the best? I used to use proper Roundup and Clinic Ace which both worked really well, now I'm a little confused as to which to buy. I was thinking of Roundup ProVantage 480 for instance. Is this any good for general weed control down to the roots?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    Since the weedkiller / glyphosate issues have changed things,

I don't know what's changed. Have I missed something?
    Devon.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Round up products still contain glyphosate, that's all the same. Check the packets to see the strength of the different brands.  I don't use glyphosate any more, but when I did I found a basic generic cheap glyphosate worked just as well as the fancy packets as all same substance.  A bit like paying extra for nurofen rather than generic paracetamol. 

And if this is for domestic use, ie weeds on paths and so on them you really shouldn’t need the strongest formulation.  
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,595
    Nurofen is ibuprofen not paracetamol but you are probably right generic stuff is usually exactly the same as branded. 
  • I don't know what's changed. Have I missed something?

Ah, I was under the impression that EU rulings had changed the usage and proportions of glyphosate in weedkillers. Sorry if I was mistaken. I will search for generic weedkillers. Thanks to all who replied.

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Nothing has changed. It's still safe to use. The jury in that case haven't proven anything, they're just a jury that made a decision based on emotion and suggestion.

No matter what strength of glyphosate you buy, you still dilute it to similar strength to use. Stronger weedkiller doesn't kill better, just wastes product. 

Don't use soap/salt/vinegar etc though unless you want sterile soil devoid of bug life. 
    My understanding is that it is to be reviewed again in 5 years.
    Devon.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Hostafan1 said:
    I think it's always been reviewed every 5 years anyway
    Hostafan1 said:
    I think it's always been reviewed every 5 years anyway
    yeah, that's kinda what I meant , but I think they looked at it last year, so another 4 years from now.
    Devon.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    debs64 said:
    Nurofen is ibuprofen not paracetamol but you are probably right generic stuff is usually exactly the same as branded. 
    Yes, thanks....got mixed up as it's been a while.