Forum home Problem solving

Bri

Hi we live in North Pennines and have quite a large  south and west facing garden with a stand of trees and a stream that runs along the western edge. I have a fairly relaxed attitude towards weeds and beds and borders are on the wild side. I am having problems with a borage type weed with blue flowers that is very difficult to pull or dig out and it is becoming invasive. Choking other plants out. Also have quite a lot of goose grass too. Any adivice.?

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Could it be this one in the link below?
    There are some comments and advice on getting rid if it is the right thing.
    Otherwise a photo graph would be helpful.
    Good luck with your weeding.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2037708#Comment_2037708

• Thank you everyone for your responses. Yes its Pentaglottis. Difficulty with weed killer its in amongst alot of other plants but will give it a try. Anyone have any remedies for goose grass?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    One trick with awkward weeds in full borders is to slip them inside a big bin bag to spray them or else put a screen over treasures while you spray the offender.   It takes 2 weeks for the systemic weedkillers to affect the roots and may need a second or third application for really determined growers with deep roots.

The alternative is just to cut or hoe off the bits above ground every time you spot them.  Eventually the roots will die form lack of being fed by their leaves but that's a very long game indeed.

My solution for goose grass is OH.   The pesky stuf brings me out in a rash so he has to go in and pull or hoe it out.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    One trick with awkward weeds in full borders is to slip them inside a big bin bag to spray them or else put a screen over treasures while you spray the offender.   It takes 2 weeks for the systemic weedkillers to affect the roots and may need a second or third application for really determined growers with deep roots.

The alternative is just to cut or hoe off the bits above ground every time you spot them.  Eventually the roots will die form lack of being fed by their leaves but that's a very long game indeed.

My solution for goose grass is OH.   The pesky stuf brings me out in a rash so he has to go in and pull or hoe it out.

• Thanks will bear this all in mind. I suppose thats the joys of gardening. Have been trying to go for the freer wilder approach instead of manicured lawns and regimented borders. Need to be on it as soon as I see it. 
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631

Can we borrow him...?
    Sorry but no.  When he isn't disappearing off to play golf or watch it on TV he has far too much to do here...........  He's still in training as an under-gardener.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    edited July 2019
    Apparently goosegrass was used to feed ‘green’ geese ... hence its name ... nice to know it has a use ... you’d better get a flock @Obelixx 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

No ta @Dovefromabove.  I have 2 guard dogs already and a gendarme next door.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    It helps to clear goosegrass before it flowers and sets seed or it will return with a vengeance next year.  It's said to be tasty and nutritious for people as well as geese, cooked like spinach, never tried it myself.