Forum home The potting shed

Hardy Polyanthus and winter Pansies when to plant seeds?

I have just received a catalogue showing Hardy Polyanthus and winter Pansies and I'm sure that I bought some before and they were very nice.  However, I would like to know if it is possible to buy seeds for such plants and if so from where and when does one plant them?

I bet I'm to late.

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    BML, I normally sow mine indoors in the very early spring, so you will have missed having them for this winter unless you buy a few plants and sow the seeds next year. Others might do it differently. I don't seem to remember seeing any of the seed for sale the other day while at the Garden Center.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,507
    www.seedaholic.com does have a few viola seeds in stock. Their seed sowing information is very detailed 
  • BMLBML Posts: 128
    Many thanks to you both.  As usual, I'm either to late or to early. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,765
    I sow a lot of pansy and viola seed, they don’t germinate well in the hot weather, you can sow some in September ready for planting out later next spring, or for summer bedding, if you keep dead heading them the will go on forever. 
    I don’t sow primula, but primrose seeds need to be sown green, straight off the plant. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.