Not what I was expecting...

About two months ago I sowed a packet of seeds in a pot. The seeds sown were Purple tansy - Phacelia tanacetifolia.
The plants have just begun to bloom and instead of flowers like this...

... I am getting these...

Should have realised sooner that even the leaves look completely different with those of the former being lacy and fern-like while the latters’ being more campanula-esque in appearance.

It isn’t a problem really as they are still very appealing. 

Just weird. Must have been a mix up at the seed sorting company.

Anybody else had something like this happen with seeds you’ve bought?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,468
    Never had anything so very different from the packet and don't recognise it but it's a stunning blue.   Hope someone can identify it for you and we can all get some!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451
    It is Phacelia campanularia.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 122
    Cheers for the ID madpenguin!
    I could only get a photo of the flower in twilight as the sun had already set when I spotted it. Looking forward to admiring it in sunlight tomorrow (fair weather permitting).
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,332
    Wow, that's lovely! And I read that it's drought tolerant as well. Does anyone have any experience of it? Being in the borage family I'm a bit nervous of it being too rampant for me...
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,468
    Sounds like a good one for my garden LG.   Chiltern Seeds have it listed - 
    https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_976B_phacelia_campanularia 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 122
    Loving this plant. The flowers are so BLUE. Electric blue! And attractive to hoverflies.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451
    Seems you had a happy mix-up!!
    Really lovely flowers  <3
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,363
    I think I would be happy with that swap.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 175
    As a child I was given a packet of seeds for a plant called Burning Bush. My mum said that they looked just like dock seeds when we opened the packet.  I planted them so carefully and lavished them with tender loving care but when they came up and grew into seedlings they were .... docks! It's a wonder that my first foray into grown up gardening aged 6 didn't put me off for life.  As you might have gathered it didn't! 
  • Red mapleRed maple Posts: 128
    What a beautiful, vivid blue.