Forum home Problem solving

Help! Clematis leaves mottled red, turning white

Hello.
I have a rouge cardinal Clematis that has always done well, but this season I've noticed a red mottling on some of the leaves .on closer inspection, it appears the red mottling turns to white. I can't seem to find anything online about this . I have to assume there is a small organism that is eating the leaves internally, though I am not sure. Has anyone seen this and know what it is? Thanks so much in advance. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I haven't seen anything quite like this in all the years I've grown clematis but I suspect it's something simple like aphid damage, a form of powdery mildew or a reaction to stress from hunger or lack of water or both.

Either way, I would suggest giving it a really good drink and a feed of slow release clematis, rose or tomato food and a liquid tonic of rose or tomato food or seaweed.   Then it should perk up and be strong enough to fight off any problems.   Make sure it doesn't get thirsty in any hot or dry spells.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899
    My neighbour asked someone at Ashwoods Nursery about the leaves on her clem turning reddish and he said it was due to lack of water.  I think I'm right in saying that powdery mildew is caused by lack of water at the roots too.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Thank-you both so much for your responses. It helps me immensely. I was worried it was a little dry - I did notice that the bush that usually shades the roots seems to be growing away from it, and as a result the Clematis roots are less shaded. Thank-you again :wink:
    The whole clematis roots in shade, heads in sun thing is a myth.   The roots are thick and fleshy and need nutrients and moisture to do well so don't let them get thirsty.  Give the clematis a serious soaking and then mulch it with some well-rotted garden compost or manure to help feed it them and retain moisture.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks kindly for this. I have thankfully added a good amount of compost and manure to give it a boost, only 2 days ago, as well as a good mulch (it has been very hot here, so figured it could use some water retention). As for fertiliser, what ratio would you recommend for Clematis? Thanks again for your help :smile:
    For a liquid feed - rose, tomato or seaweed - follow the instructions on the bottle.  For slow release, best applied by the handful in spring every year but a handful forked gently in around the roots and then watered in now won't hurt either.  You can buy special clematis feed or use rose or tomato or BF&B.

• Thank-you :) 
    I was wondering about ratio (I may have something close in the shed), But I will just go out and buy a specific one for clematis, etc, as you've recommended. I very much appreciate your help and responses. 
    edited July 2019
    The thing about rose and tomato food is that it promotes flowers so works for clematis if you have nothing else.   Special clematis feeds are quite a recent entry into the market as far as I know.