Forum home Problem solving

Jasminum Officinale leaves are drying up

I planted a Jasminum Officinale in a tub earlier this year. It was doing great up until now (it was a tiny plant to start).  All of a sudden, its leaves are drying up and going 'crispy' - see images.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong please? Could I be over-watering?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,006
    That black stem looks a bit worrying. What's the soil like under the stones? Has the pot got drainage holes? They're usually pretty bomb proof I have one growing out of paving slabs.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • mmsj496mmsj496 Posts: 69
    Do you mean this black stem - see image?  It is on pot feet, so should be OK, but I have felt the compost in it today which feels very moist.
    Has the pot got enough drainage?
    It's in John Innes, but with no grit.  Could that be the problem?  Can I rescue it?
    How is the water getting out? You need good drainage
    As well as being on pot feet, the pot has a big hole in the bottom of it.  When I water it, water drains out easy enough
    I have just lifted the pot to check its three large drainage holes are clear by poking a bamboo cane into them.  The are all clear, but the cane came out with very wet compost on it.  
    I think you might have your answer then😊
    Do you think that I have killed it?  Will the compost dry out on its own, or should I repot it or something else?
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 552
    I would try re-potting it. Make sure you have some crocks (broken bits of pot) over the holes as when you put the cane in you shouldn't have reached the compost!