Storage advice please plus other

I'm wondering how you store you bought compost. In less than 2 weeks time I'll have a Greenhouse and want to store it inside the GH. We have a rat and mice problem at the moment which is being sorted but they will at some point come back and I don't want them making a home in my compost bags. I have a further problem, I'm only five foot tall and disabled although try not to let it hold me back. I have two automatic vent for the window's, shelves and staging, shading with more on order, thermometer, down pipe and water butt. Is there anything else I will need more that want to get it up and running. I have plenty of Compost, Perlite, pots, trays and tools, seed from this years left overs and just need the heavens to open up to fill all the water butts overnight would be good but that's out of all our hands.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    I use the big black plastic bins to store compost and they sit outside the greenhouse. A big bag of compost fits in one but you would need someone to empty it in for you. It's really too hot in the green house to store compost. I fill a pail of compost from the bin and take it into the greenhouse to use.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 949
    Thanks hogweed, I've been looking on line and the only one I could find has wheels. I'll keep looking now I know there out there. Just a thought did you mean Dust bin? I would ask my son to empty it into any bin as I'd never be able to lift it. Good point about keeping it outside and leaves more room inside.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 816
    I just store bags outside and have never had problems with rats. I don't think it would be of interest to them unlike garden compost. I did find a toad in an open bag of compost last week though!
    Singing Gardener, I have one outside at the moment and there are signs they have been at the bag. We know they are about it's an ongoing problem here due to one of our neighbours over the back.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 816
    @NannaBoo. I guess I've just been lucky so far then - we definitely sometimes have rats although I haven't seen any for a while. How about a plastic or metal front opening garden cupboard?
    Singing Gardener, we've not got the room. Just done away with a 6 x 10ft shed and replacing it with a 6 x 10ft GH. We had to buy a very small shed to fit the space and that would hold the garden tools. What ever I get for the compost is going have to be small, I'm thinking on a 90 lts black dustbin, it wont hold all the compost bust will hold most of it.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 494
    edited 4 July
    I have a cheap black slightly squat dustbin.  The sack of compost sits inside and I scoop out what i need.
    Helix, That's what I thought as they come with a lid. I've seen one on the wicks sight which hold 90 liters  and has a lid for £13 it wouldn't take all of the 125 litres of compost but the rest would most likely be use up quickly. Yes a good idea to just put the whole sack in. Thanks for your reply.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    @NannaBoo - yes I did mean dust bin. I only buy 70l sacks of compost as that is all I can lift and the 70l bag fills it nicely with a bit of room to spare. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    hogweed, I thought it must be. I spoke to my son this evening he is going to pick me up 2 x 90 ltr dustbins tomorrow and said he will put the bag with the compost in it into the dustbin for me. He tends to get the bigger bags so I don't run out, he also get me 100 lts of Perlite at a time. I just wish he could find a free supply of house manure, I could do with a load of that so it's ready for next year. The small bags they sell at the stables is so expensive, half a compost bag is from £8.