Forum home The potting shed

Council and access!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,182
edited July 2019 in The potting shed
A few years ago our council decided to put up a gate and fence where locals accessed a footpath.It replaced a gate that you could open and close.They then chained up the new gate so on-one could access the path from that point and you have to make a detour of ¼ to ½ a mile to reach that point or climb the gate.
Why they did not put in a 'kissing gate' as they have on other parts of the path no-one knows!
Since then the gate has remained firmly chained and unopened while to each side the fence has gradually been trampled down leaving the gate in glorious isolation.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 168
    Is there a formal right of way there? If there is you can make a complaint as the landowner has a duty to maintain access. If there isn't currently a right of way you might be able to get it registered as one by demonstrating the required level of long term usage.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,182
    It is a public footpath on council land.I think the council argued that it is accessible but at several other points along the way.
    A kissing gate would have solved the problem.

I seem to recall a notice put up at the time stating that This is a public right of way and can be accessed then proceeded to chain the gate!!

.........the dog walkers seem to have it in hand over the last few years  >:) 
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,983
    edited July 2019
    Dog walkers do that. 

Go along to your next Parish Council meeting and raise it under AOB. You may have a local footpaths and access group that you could contact as well. Or even write a letter to the parish council (needs to be Parish or Town Council - District or County will ignore you) and ask for that letter to be read out at the next meeting.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    You'd think if they didn't want anyone accessing from that point, they'd just put up a fence, but then, that would be crediting the powers that be with some common sense.  :D
    We had our road resurfaced recently, and the men came to redo the white lines and the 20mph signs. I was pleased to see one at the road end near me. A few days later they came and removed it, and were seen doing the one at the other end, which has been in place for many years. Now - where's the wisdom in removing the one they'd done, instead of just leaving it? Ahh councils. Don't you just love them, eh?  :#
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,250
    edited July 2019
    Might there have been a fly tipping problem there in the past?
    Though I agree there should have been a smaller gate or stile depending on whether it was foot or bridle path.
    It may have been chained to stop unwanted...  um ....caravanners or tipping.

Although that does not always stop either problems.

Edited to add.
    https://onthewight.com/legally-maintaining-access-to-your-rights-of-way-part-one/