Forum home Wildlife gardening

Floating Soldiers - Stratioles Aloides

I have a couple of new Floating Soldiers - Stratioles Aloides.  Both have produced small white flowers and the leaves - if you can call them leaves are now turning from green to dark almost black.  Is this normal?  They are in our large pond with sunshine for most of the day.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    I think that’s what they do, after flowering they’ll sink to the bottom and you won’t see them again until next Spring. 
    Mine got less and less, now I don’t have any at all. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited July 2019
    When we had a pond we were told to collect them after flowering put them in a bucket of water and keep them in a frost free shed as they don't like the cold and that worked, yet if you read all the info it says they are hardy to -15
    And yes they do change colour and sink as Lyn said.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    I think it was too cold here for them, the pond gets iced in the winter. Never though5 about taking them out, that’s a very good idea. 

• Thank you Lyn & HH - I now know that the change of colour is normal - it is a pity though as I only got the plants about a month ago.  Perhaps we will be lucky here - the temperature NEVER (tempting fate?) drops to -15 here! I hope we will see them again next Spring.  The flowers were so pretty and delicate looking.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899
    I've had them in my pond for 3 years now.  The breed like wildfire.  They do change colour and sink to the bottom in the winter and then rise again when the weather warms up.  Each year I remove some of the big ones and leave the smaller ones.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Thank you @Yviestevie, we have just two at the moment, so I am hoping they will breed next Spring as yours have done - we are desperate for more covering oxygenating plants.
    At the moment my pond’s covered with water forget me nots, that multiples rapidly. The water lily leaves are making a good cover, one in flower so far.