Forum home The potting shed

OK. I tried growing vegetables but I'm too squeamish to eat them.

B3B3 Posts: 15,473
I had some spuds. They were ok. Nothing much can lurk in them
The broccoli was washed and cooked. But every stray bit on the plate was a caterpillar or a maggot that I'd missed. All right -it wasn't, but it could've been. 
I can't do it.
 Beans, tomatoes spuds and courgettes and other things with a definite shape and skin. I can manage but things where things can hide. I can't do it!
In London. Keen but lazy.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,809
    The only year my mum grew cauli, they were blanched, frozen, and then cooked, and there was a small green no longer wiggling thing. My sister screamed the place down. Extra protein said my mum. Don't shout, they'll all want some.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,764
    I’m like that with blackberries, every one has a little maggot in it, I put them in a bowl of water with a sprinkle of salt, the creatures float to the top. Rinse the salt water off before eating.
    You have to use a very close net on brassicas,  scaffold netting or one I bought on amazon on a roll,  make a frame from something, , the butterflies can’t lay eggs on your veg through that.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    you have to choose twixt extra protein and extra chemicals that killed the protein :) 
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 202
    I'm the same. Grew spring onions and binned them. Grew raspberries, put one towards my mouth, nibbled, binned and gave the plant to a friend. Got strawberries and toms on the go and wondering how I'm going to fare with them once ripe. How do the supermarkets get rid of the crawlies?!
    They spray, and spray, and spray. Unless you pay for organic.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,473
    My OH is the same. I made once a nice salad with mixed homegrown salad leaves and he found one aphid there... and he then spent 5 minutes with every leaf checking for bugs.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,473
    I do the salt thing with brambles. You know you've got them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 202
    You also then know they have been there once you have got them! This is the first year I've done any fruit or veg and I think I'll stick to flowers next year and stay ignorant lol
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,349
    Does not washing well or looking for blemishes solve the problem?
    I wash everything in salty water, especially brassicas. Amazing how many hidden green wigglers come out.