Forum home Problem solving

Help - Bland New Build Garden Needs Overhaul!

Hi there,

I live in a new build in Scotland and DESPERATELY need to overhaul the builders attempt at a "garden".  

Plans are as follows (I've included a makeshift diagram below to help make sense of this):

• to remove and replace horrible slabs with better quality prettier ones
  • create patio area outside French doors
  • create a two tier planting area with railway sleepers to replace current grass slope (so that the French windows look on to a nice view!) plus it will hide some of the fence!
  • create a path going to back fence were a locked gate will allow easy access to car park
  • dig out a circular space in side garden for ground level trampoline for my son (I think those high ones with nets are a blight on the landscape!)
  • to put in a pond

What do you think?  Also - I'm a bit lost as to what to do with the front garden!  Any suggestions?  I'd never sit in it as it looks on to the main road going through the village. However that horrible wire fence needs to go and I'd like the whole front area to look pretty and inviting.  

Gardening is not really my bag so I'd really appreciate any criticism/suggestions/comments.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Excellent to have a plan! First thought is to make the raised area only one level as making it 2, your beds will be quite narrow (or perhaps the photo is deceiving?). You can use the excavations from the trampoline to fill the level up. 
    Will the pond be going where your whirly is? if so, where will that go?
    The triangular bit of grass at the front door must be a pain to mow - I would turn that into a flower bed. 
    Your front fence is new and sturdy - just crying out to be clothed in clematis, honeysuckle and perhaps a rose. Is that privet that is planted there? Keep them if you want a hedge but I would hoick them out. 

And perhaps think about how close your patio area is to next door - you may wish to put up a pretty trellis screen. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweed,

Thank you for your response.

I never thought of simply covering the front fence rather than replacing it - but it makes a lot of sense as an alternative fence would look out of place compared to all of my neighbours!  Yes it's a privet and I'll definitely get rid of them and replace with your suggestions.  

The patio area is right next to my not so lovely neighbours so a trellis screen is definitely in order there.  

Good point about the whirly (it is where the pond is going) - I think I'll move it around the side by the shed as I don't want it obstructing the view from the French doors. 

What do you think about the square bit of grass in front - keep it?  I agree removing the zig zag bit would make things easier.  
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 204
    We looked at a sunken trampoline a good few years back and we were told we needed proper drainage under it. Not sure if you are aware of that but may be something you should look into? We scraped the plan in the end. 
  • Thanks Ericaheather, my cousin is a civil engineer and he'll be doing the trampoline and paving (as that's all way beyond my scope of "having a go"!) - I'll make sure he's aware of the need for drainage.  
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,008
    With regard to the front garden, l like the idea of turning that area on the left hand side into a flower bed, but personally l would keep the lawn. It's nice to have a bit of green,  but you may feel that getting the lawn mower out is a pain for that area ?  :)
  • AnniD,

Thanks for your response. I think you're probably right - best to keep a bit of lawn out front!  Hopefully it will look a lot better when that horrible wire fence is covered!  It wasn't supposed to be fenced (there was a lovely farm dry stone wall there) but when the foundations were built the wall collapsed so that was a make shift effort to replace the lovely wall!  
  • Hazel-1,

My boundary is up to the pavement. The builders put those plants in front of the fence so they are technically mine and I'm thankfully free to get rid of them!