Forum home Plants

Are my rudbeckia coming back?

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,729
Hi all,

I cut off the seed heads from my summerina brown and goldstrum in mid March and I was expecting something fairly bushy to be growing by now.

There is some small leaves around some of them, but don’t know what new growth should look like.

I thought these were quite pervasive and might even take over the border!

Am I being impatient or should they be quite tall by now?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,861
    I think it depends on your soil. Rudbeckias for me only last a year or two, then the slugs chew them off as they start to come up.  I know that in some places they become rampant, but I have tried them in a clayey patch with lots of compost, and a sandy patch, and they still disappear.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,729

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    the first photo are rudbeckia, the second are weeds
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 168
    Is it a moist retentive? soil  A think a lot of the north American flowers like rudbeckia and echinacea come from areas of very cold winters and tend not to do less well with our mild damp winters.

I planted two echinacea last year and they've come back strong this year. I've planted my first rudbeckia this year so I'll have see to how they do.
    edited July 2019
    I think it was fresh multi compost last summer, I put a composted wood mulch on later, added bfb a month or two back.

Its a raised wall bed, and gets infested with ants in summer so if anything too dry.  I’m watering regularly now though.

Herbs either side have been flourishing.
    Having left the seed heads on all winter and spring I thought they’d be sprinting up everywhere.  Unless I’ve been mistaking them for weeds I guess.

Anyone have a picture of baby rudbeckia?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,861
    The heart shaped leaves in the first one are rudbeckia. They look like something, probably slugs are chewing them.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    The heart shaped leaves in the first one are rudbeckia. They look like something, probably slugs are chewing them.

I took your advice to look for slugs and snails and immediately they started to respond 👍

They're looking a lot healthier, but is it too late in the year now for them to achieve a foot of growth?