Forum home Problem solving

Palm tree in compost

alex9491alex9491 Posts: 10
edited July 2019 in Problem solving
Hi, I brought a palm tree (trachycarpus fortunei) in 2016 and planted it in a large pot, but as my gardening knowledge has slightly increased I feel I may have planted in the wrong stuff. I used garden centre compost mixed with sand. The palm does seem to be fine as it is grown substantial and is looking very healthy, I also feed it with palm focus once a week during the summer but I have been reading and I’m not sure how sustainable planting it in compost will be and maybe it should of been planted in a soil based media?
I do not want to suddenly lose it as it’s growing well at the moment? 

Any thoughts?

Thank you

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    if it's been in it for 3 years and is growing well, I'd not worry about in the slightest
    Devon.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,997
    Agree entirely with above comment ; is the palm in a pot for a specific reason?
    Trachycarpus are hardy throughout most of the UK and if feasible it would grow better in a good rich loam outdoors in a sunny position .
  • alex9491alex9491 Posts: 10
    edited July 2019
    Thank you for the replies, I will leave it be and if it suddenly looks like it’s suffering I will act accordingly. It is on a patio area in a very large pot, but I appreciate what you are saying