Forum home The potting shed

Single use plastic

I don't know whether I heard correctly this morning ..........a mention of single use plastic not being as much of a problem as other plastic ( I think they were referring to bags covered in logos offered by SM's, etc. amongst other things).
As I was only half awake, I could have misunderstood.  
Has anyone else heard anything on this subject recently ?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,355
    As I understand it, single use plastic is on the way to be being banned outright. France is bringing in the ban next year. Geneva also.
    Products containing one single type of plastic are generally easier to recycle (apart from black plastic which currently struggles). Items made of many different plastics combined makes separation  more difficult as each polymer behaves slightly differently.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 508
    I agree with Fire the research is saying that the complex plastics are more difficult to recycle than the most frequently used “single use” ones, however the message needs to be made clearly. Just because something is theoretically easy to recycle does not mean it’s ok to use without limits.

the sad fact is that only a tiny percentage of plastic which can be recycled ever is. 

Overall reduction of our reliance on plastics and man made fibers from the petroleum byproducts is still the best long term solution to helping our planet. As gardeners we are in the fight to help our pollinators etc, but we must also advocate to change our consumption habits in all of our lives, not just our gardens.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,634
    Thanks both - nothing really new then.  Perhaps just someone getting over excited at what they thought was "new" information.