Forum home Problem solving

Do you use crock in your pots?

I have a large pot (27" wide x 20"deep) how much crock should I use or is there a better alternative? t i a

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    I tend to use a layer of gravel in the bottom for plants that need good drainage, but  that’s because I don’t have many crocs lying about. Dunno whether its any better or not... some say either are a waste of time and you may as well use all soil. If your pot is raised on feet or sitting on earth, I guess that’s true as it will drain naturally.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    I always put crocks over the drainage holes to stop them getting plugged with soil. But I do use a lot of clay pots so I always have a ready supply of broken pots! In extremis I have used a layer of the polystyrene that bedding plants come in. If it is a deep pot that I'm putting bedding in then I use lots of polystyrene in the bottom so I'm not wasting good compost! 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    If I'm planting young plants which will eventually reside elsewhere (garden or a larger ornamental pot) I put a single piece of newspaper in the bottom of the pot so that the compost doesn't get through the holes. If the roots grow out of the pot they can get through the paper, when moving the plant on, it helps when you remove the plant from the pot and it's biodegradable.  By the way,  don't put too much polystyrene in the bottom of your pots especially if they have a narrow base. It makes them lighter to move and saves on compost but it can make the pot top heavy and makes it easier for the wind to blow the pot over with possibly disastrous results. 
  • SheleenSheleen Southampton, in a gardenPosts: 51
    I've used those awful styrofoam peanuts you get in packaging if it's an especially big pot - saves a bit of weight :) When I potted up my hibiscus, I used old broken and chipped cups and mugs (had loads of fun with the hammer with those - place in bottom of pot, sheild eyes, and play whack-a-mug lol). Even if I use large gravel in the bottom of a pot, I like to put a broken crock - cup, mug, or anything curved - to makes especially sure the main drainage hole isnt blocked.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I've never noticed much earth falling through my drainage holes. I'm not convinced crocks do anything much. Except slice an unweary hand if you have put sharp terracotta hiding in earth at the bottom of your pot. I have had many nasty slices like that it days of yore.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,527
    I don't crock any of my pots, but do put an old used 'J' cloth carefully over all the holes, followed by a layer of grit or small gravel. I find it helps to keep the ants and woodlice out of the bottom. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,049
    I have some nice terracotta pots from Italian Terrace. They advise putting a deposit of crocks in the bottom quarter to minimise the risk of frost damage.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I sometimes use a used teabag to cover the hole!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited July 2019
    Has anyone ever noticed a build up of water at the bottom of a pot?  If you mix in grit to your mix - or if you don't - I don't quite see why it would happen. If a pot was in a saucer I can imagine potential damage but doesn't water drain straight out? (Serious questions - not being argumentative. I often wonder about these things. I need to get out more).
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,548
    With a 20" deep pot I would put crocks in to cover the drainage holes and then a layer of polystyrene.  Otherwise it's going to take a lot of compost and will be enormously heavy.