Forum home Plants

Japanese quince

Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
Hello everyone. I have a Chaenomeles speciosa 'Moerloosei', planted last December. It bore white flowers in spring and has a few flowers on it now, still white. It is making new growth but it is all horizontal and on the ground. Is it usual for a 'Moerloosei ' which I expected to be apple blossom pink? I know that my newly planted garden will take one to two years to get going but I appear to have several plants which don't match their labels. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,565
    I have a red one that did that, all horizontal, sprawled growth, then in its third year it took off and started growing upwards as well. A white one shot up right away... I think some are more sprawling than others, so yours might be one of those. 
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,667
    edited July 2019
    Joy* said:
    Hello everyone. I have a Chaenomeles speciosa 'Moerloosei', planted last December. It bore white flowers in spring and has a few flowers on it now, still white. It is making new growth but it is all horizontal and on the ground. Is it usual for a 'Moerloosei ' which I expected to be apple blossom pink? I know that my newly planted garden will take one to two years to get going but I appear to have several plants which don't match their labels. 
    Very normal to find plants misnamed.
    You thought you had bought Chaenomeles speciosa 'Moerloosei'

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chaenomeles+speciosa+'Moerloosei',&client=firefox-b-d&channel=crow&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNz7r975bjAhX0QkEAHZ3TDPYQ_AUIECgB&biw=1920&bih=944

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/chaenomeles-speciosa-moerloosei/classid.775/

IAt least you have a Chaenomeles..but not what you expected...one with pure white flowers. Maybe the garden centre where you bought it would give you a refund/exchange it for you? No harm asking.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I have 'Nivalis' which is also white.  Both that, 'Crimson and Gold' and all of the babies I grew from the seeds of the latter are 'untidy' growers, shall we say.  They always seem to grow in a direction of their own choosing (and which is usually not the same as mine!)  Nice plants though, always look forward the those early flowers.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Thank you all for the help. I'm going to 'report back to base ' as I appear to have several plants and roses which are incorrectly labelled or have been substituted at the whim of the nursery. When you only have a tiny garden and a lot of effort had been made to plan it, it's annoying to find that the colour scheme has gone to pot! My poor Moerlooei is in the wrong position and is being overgrown by quite small shrubs.  :(
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Just wondering if anyone has a Moerlooei. Does it have apple blossom pink flowers and has it ever flowered completely white? If mine is just getting acclimatised in its first year in the garden I'll work around it but if it isn't what the label states I'll take different action.  Thank you for your help.