Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pigeons Galore!

I have a bird house and the smaller birds don't get to go in there to feed from the table as the pigeons go in the bird house and they only just fit! I seem to have so many pigeons in my garden, it would be nice if they shared with the smaller birds Does anyone have the same problem or can advise?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    If you look at the RSPB website, they have lots of cages which let the smaller birds in through the mesh but keeps the bigger ones out.  If none of their cages is the right size and shape to fit your feeder, then maybe buy another feeder to use as well as, or instead of, the one you already have.  Or use some plastic or wire mesh to contrive a custom-made cage to fit your feeder.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    I screwed some dowling around all four sides of mine the smaller birds can get in but thinks like pigeons, Magpies and Crows can't. The smaller birds don't seem worried about it and the bigger one's just sit on the roof unable to get in.
  • abby.07abby.07 Posts: 9
    Thank you so much for your helpful reply
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Some chicken wire will keep them out, and the little 'uns can get in.
    It also pays to buy the no mess feeds, as they don't contain barley, which is what attracts pigeons. They're about the only thing that eats it.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• abby.07abby.07 Posts: 9
    Thank you for your helpful tips