Forum home Problem solving

Please can anyone tell me what this is?

• My friend gave me this and i split it into 4. It looked dead but now its all recovered and every pot i have of it looks like this. Is it some sort of perennial geranium? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Andrea
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    Alchemilla mollis, really pretty when the rain drops gather on the leaves!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/774/Alchemilla-mollis/Details
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,012
    edited July 2019
    If it likes your garden, it will get everywhere. A friend of mine has it, and although it looks lovely,  it has rather taken over. Janie's right about the rain on the leaves !
  • Ah that is fantastic....thankyou both so much.  I have noticed the water droplets when i water as they just sit there on the leaves.  I will be planting some of it in the raised bit at the back. If it takes off and spreads then that would be fab. Many thanks again! Andrea
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    It will die back to the roots at the end of summer and you may think it's dead but it will come again ext year.  If it seeds into places you don't want it, whip it out quick, because once it's established the roots are humungous.
  • Thankyou Josusa47. I have planted it up this afternoon so will see what happens. Its in a raised border with two massive shrubs so it should be ok i hope.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 334
    It's another one that I innocently planted and now it is everywhere in my garden! Looks nice but keep an eye on it. 
  • Thanks Mander. I have planted up two lots in a raised border with a 1930s stone wall holding in the soil. I have two huge shrubs in there...a laurel and a forsythia and so im hopeful the ladys mantel will stay contained in the wall and if it spreads under the shrubs then that would be good. Andrea
  • LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 106
    Two other plants that you have to be wary of self seeding everywhere in your garden, if they have the right conditions, is Salvias and Verbena bonariensis. Both very beautiful but I’m always digging up new growth. 
  • You have a very good friend, Andrea.  It's "invasive" but very pretty!