Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blooming Roadsides!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
Good to see this idea getting the message across to councils!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48772448
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Some of that looks really lovely.

Someone has planted a verge of orange, I think, hawkbit near here, it is stunning.
    We have a nice verge of yellow sort vetch type and clover here, but the contractors will come and cut it soon I suspect, although I think they cut less often than they used to.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    It does help if the contractors know what they are doing though...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-48784215
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited July 2019
    Saw that yesterday AnniD after looking at Madpenguins link. It is very sad and a waste too. I wonder where the tree guards went? Unless they were big enough to be removed, in which case how did they manage to cut them all off!

I try not to moan too much, but the ones here after many years of never ever mowing the bit across our frontage ( I have always kept it done and tidy), started to cut it using a too large mower and encroached over the boundary breaking and cutting my ground cover and shrubs.
    It is clearly marked with a concrete boundary strip. Not covered or obscured, nor overgrown. I appreciate they have a lot to do etc. But this is just bloody don't give a sh*t territory.
    I am a bit cross.

Also spoke too soon they cut the main verges yesterday.  All the lovely flowers are gone
    The "grass" was short anyway covered with vetch and clover they were not even tall only a few inches!?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    A lot of the verges around here must be good 5 feet tall, it's making visibility tricky on approaches to roundabouts etc, meanwhile they're cutting back central reservations where the flowers such as poppies and cornflowers are. I think the other thing is that they don't know how to maintain them. I drove into town this morning and the wildflowers consisted of a few poppies, something that looked a bit like "yellow rod", and everything else looked dead. A couple of years ago,  it was a riot of colour.  l think the council thought they'd just chuck the seeds down and it would all look after itself.
  • I have forwarded this article to my facebook page - which in turn will be forwarded to our local roadside team. Thanks for the link @madpenguin.  Don't all councils want to save money - less mowing, less maintenance, encouraging wildlie