Forum home Problem solving

Rhubarb problem

Hello, my rhubarb crowns (2 years old) haven't produced any leaves at all. The crowns are visible and haven't changed i.e. not rotted or disappeared or anything and I wondered what the reason for lack of leaves and stalks might be. I did have to move the rhubarb plants last autumn. The winter was quite mild and I read somewhere rhubarb needs a number of weeks at three degrees or below, I don't think they would have had this last winter. Thank for any help.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,163
    Try digging a bit up and stick it in the fridge for a while maybe?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • How dry is your Rhubarb?  We try to water ours once a week during hot dry weather, apart from that I can't think of any other cause for the lack of leaves @Honeyheart
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    Was the weather still very warm and dry when you moved the rhubarb? It could have died due to lack of moisture.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Dig around see if there are any roots the crowns are quite woody so may appear OK but if they did not root then almost certainly dead I'm afraid, if you have roots then I have no idea sorry.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog