Hori hori trowel

KT53KT53 Posts: 3,590
Anybody use one of these?  We were at a garden today and spotted what appeared to be a knife in a sheath hanging from the belt of one of the gardeners.  We got into conversation and were told it is a Hori hori trowel, originating in Japan.  The gardener said that they all use them and, in combination with a pair of secateurs, it does just about every job they have to tackle.

• lily6lily6 Posts: 14
    Its a superb hand tool, I am a jobbing gardener and use it all the time. 
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 167
    No but now I want one, and one of these too...

(I'm completely unaffiliated with the above, just happened to be a link I found when looking up the Hori Hori trowel).

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 833
    I like mine very much; it’s a Niwaki.
  • lily6lily6 Posts: 14
    Mine is a Niwaki too, its my wish to one day own more of their tool range. Not cheap but worth the investment, most recent purchase was a pruning saw. 
  • AdstidAdstid Posts: 74
    I use my Niwaki knife more than any other tool - get one, you won't regret it! 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,690
    The only problem is that these trowels come under the offensive weapons act so you have to be a bit careful about where you use them and how you transport them if required.
  • GrumpymumGrumpymum Oxfordshire Posts: 35
    I got one recently and absolutely love it. It's great if you have a heavy clay soil like mine :) Make sure you get one with a full tang, as they will be much stronger. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,590
    The only problem is that these trowels come under the offensive weapons act so you have to be a bit careful about where you use them and how you transport them if required.
    The gardener we were talking to said they had forgotten they still had it on their belt and walked into their bank.  Fortunately they are well known there.
  • AdstidAdstid Posts: 74
    My husband has a bayonet blade he found on Dartmoor as a kid (some squaddie will have lost it during training exercises and surely got in trouble!). He uses it all the time in the garden - but yes, probably best kept out of sight!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,590
    This https://www.japeto.co.uk/products/weeding/hori-hori-knife-deluxe-leather-holster arrived today.  Extremely solid construction, and fast delivery from japeto.  It has some weight to it and although I've only 'played' with it so far it looks as if it's going to get a lot of use.