Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehogs

Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,084
edited June 2019 in Wildlife gardening
Hedgehogs!

Snuffle, snuffle, grunt and shuffle.  So we have seen a hedgehog a couple of times.  How lovely is that?  And then today - poo!  Yes:  hedgehog poo on the lawn, and I just don't care.  I shall clear it up as necessary, but rejoice in the fact that we have a Hedgehog!  Perhaps he/she rather likes the catfood that we have put down.  But I am so pleased to welcome him/her (Mrs Tiggywinkle?) into our garden.  

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 256
    I'd love a hedgehog in my garden,  lucky you!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,408
    Me too, haven't seen a live hedgehog for over 12 years.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,761
    we have one , at least , every night. We feed ours on Waitrose chicken cat food.
    Devon.
  • I haven't seen one for years.  But going round a neighbouring Open Garden event today, there seem to be others who, after many a year, have seen hedgehogs.  Perhaps our love affair with nasty slug pellets and a desire to create more friendly habitats are beginning to pay off.  I do hope so.  
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 343
    Oh you are so lucky.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,421
    We have a regular visitor here, I find putting out dry hedgehog food doesn't attract the cats, and we have photo proof they look and leave. Water in a large tub tray is ideal, for them and the birds, and is as likely to bring them in as food.

• timmy77timmy77 BirminghamPosts: 20
    I pray for hedgehogs to poo on our lawn! But sadly, none 😥 But at least I do have regular contact with hoggies helping out at our local rescue 🦔😍 
    We did have some poo on the lawn a while ago thinking (hoping!) it belonged to a spikey friend, so I set some cameras up only to capture on film a polecat!! 

Must be awesome having a regular visitor  in the garden 🦔❤️
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,421
    It is a joy. Sat last night 11pm watching our visitor munching on hog food, then rooting around the beds, before having a drink and going back into the undergrowth.🙂

But @timmy77 its probably good you have no hogs as with a predator like that they would end up lunch!
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 549
    Hogs come every night here sometimes three together We put food out every night ,we use a supermarkets own brand chicken kitten food hard .They love it than go down to the beech of the pond for a drink ,I love them and would really miss them if they ever vanish .
  • Last night Mrs Tiggywinkle suddenly emerged from the border, no more than 3 feet away from me.  I hadn't managed to put any cat food down in advance, but gently walked over to the bird feeder where it was snuffling around (probably rooting out any mealworms missed by the blackbirds) and put down the cat food.  I was right next to him and he wasn't fazed at all.  It was just magical and I backed off a bit and watched him for about 20 minutes.  Hoping for a repeat performance at dusk tonight.