Forum home Problem solving

What's this climbing up my forest flame?

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Looks like bindweed if so it's hard to get rid of. You have to dig it out and remove every little bit of the root. Every piece of root left in will make a new plant and it spreads. I could be wrong, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you if I'm wrong. 
  • GardenAmateurGardenAmateur Posts: 75
    edited June 2019
    I've cut it off at ground level as I didn't want roots to multiply had a suspicion it was bindweed but they have always been pulled out as seedlings before. The shrub is huge so dont suppose it will do much damage but if it comes back will try dousing leaves with vinegar
  • These are the leaves
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    That's not bindweed.  Looks more like a honeysuckle to me.  Applying vinegar to the foliage will have no effect.  Nor, probably, would a small quantity poured on the soil.  If you apply enough vinegar to the soil to harm the weed, it's likely do similar harm to the plant it's growing into.
  • josusa47 said:
    That's not bindweed.  Looks more like a honeysuckle to me.  Applying vinegar to the foliage will have no effect.  Nor, probably, would a small quantity poured on the soil.  If you apply enough vinegar to the soil to harm the weed, it's likely do similar harm to the plant it's growing into.
    That was one of the options my app brought up, but would honeysuckle be a problem; Or if it comes back should I should just let it grow ? My pieris is about 8ft by 5ft if size of Bush is important