Forum home Problem solving

Grub ID

Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 563
Sorry I don’t have a photo of said grub but wonder if someone might be able to help me identify it from the description. It looks a little bit like a chafer grub in that it has a creamy body and orange head, however, unlike the chafer grub, it doesn’t have the 6? legs near it’s head nor does it curl into a c shape. It’s about 1cm in length and just under 1/2cm across its body (probably about 3mm). It moves about like a caterpillar. I found it amongst my grass cuttings when cutting the lawn today and have noticed quite a few “bald” patches on the lawn where the grass has gone once mown, so not sure if this little beastie is responsible? Wondering if nematode treatment might be needed but until I can identify the grub I don’t know which one to buy, nor the best time to apply it. I hope someone might be able to give me a clue as to what it might be. Thanks in anticipation.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Do they look like the top image on this page about chafer grubs?  The legs at the front grow as they get older:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,173
    Vine weevil grubs have orange heads and are legless https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=234
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 563
    No, I’ve looked at both of your websites Bob and Dove, but the grub I had wasn’t as chunky looking in the body and not hairy like the chafer and vine weevil grubs, but smooth. The head was a bright orange colour, so I’m still mystified as to what it is. But thanks for your replies.
  • Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 563
    Perhaps, though, as you say, it might be a young version of a chafer grub? It’s just that it definitely did not curl in a c shape, but perhaps that happens as they mature? I’ve looked on site and nothing really comes as close as your pictures , yet they still look different as the grub didn’t look as stocky, nor had a hairy body! Again, maybe that comes with maturity?