Blueberries

widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 226
Have had this in a pot for about 3/4 years, as you can see there are loads of berries on it, but they seem to be taking a long time to get big and blue, also there is a lot of new growth at the bottom, what shall I do with that, I don't prune it a lot but should I prune it right back and let the new growth take over, if so when??

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,293
    edited June 2019
    Looks very healthy and productive!  My fruit are at the same stage and they do take a long time to ripen - several weeks more yet.  I would say it needs a bigger pot but would leave repotting until next spring.  At that time, also cut out all dead, weak and unhealthy-looking growth.  As blueberries don't normally need any more pruning than that for the first five years, I would simply water and feed with an ericaceous food for now and re-pot next spring.
    In the following spring (ie 18 months time), you can look at removing one or two of the very oldest stems to encourage more of that strong new growth from the base, as that is what will carry your future crops.
    Your post has just reminded me it's time to net mine, or the birds will have them, ripe or otherwise!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 226
    Thanks Bob for all that information, thought about a bigger pot next year, I don't usually cover mine till they are turning blue, but might take your advice and do it now, I put a net curtain over mine,
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619
    It's worth bearing in mind when you prune that fruiting occurs on the previous year's new growth.
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 226
    Thanks , another Bob, :)