Sparse Tree

All,

I moved into a new build a couple of years ago and the developer had planted this tree at the front of my property (the photo it taken from the rear garden).  This tree - not sure what it is - produces pink blossom in spring, and then berries during autumn/winter.
The issue though is that the tree is not very dense at all, and I was wondering if it's meant to look like this OR if there are things I can do to improve matters.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Daniel

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,448
    edited 30 June
    Can’t really tell what it is ... would need closer pic and one of the fruit to make an ID. However, I think it’s probably very thirsty ... last year was incredibly hard on young trees and we’ve had (until the last couple of weeks) a dry spring/ early summer too, and I doubt whether the developers prepared the soil as well as they could’ve done ... it will have been compacted by diggers and lorries etc .  My guess is that even after the recent heavy rains the soil down below the surface is quite dry. 

I would ...

give give it two buckets full of water twice a week through the summer (more if we get another drought) 

keep a 1 meter diameter circle clear of weeds/grass/plants around its base,

give it a feed with some fish, blood and bone (a slow release organic fertilizer) and

mulch it with some well rotted manure/soil conditioner/compost (but not touching the trunk to avoid scorching or encouraging rot). 

Recommence the above in the spring when you see the buds beginning to swell.

That'll perk it up and you’ll have a fantastic tree there. 

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,819
    I'd gently poke around the soil with a fork to see if there is any builder's rubble or glass. I have known contractors lay turf on top of glass dropped by glaziers so nothing would surprise me on a new build. They plant trees and shrubs to make the area look nice but rarely prepare the soil properly. If it's on the plan, it gets planted whatever the state of the soil......if indeed there is any topsoil to speak of. You my need to add a lot of compost to bring things up to scratch.