Granite or basalt?

Hello,
I have a front garden area that gets full morning sun until just after midday only, when it slowly covers with shade. For a re-design, part of this area is going to have either granite (pale yellowy grey) or basalt (very dark grey, almost black) setts. I'd prefer to get the basalt.

However, I've come across the idea that darker surfaces become hotter faster than paler ones, so would the basalt option make the temperature of this garden area hotter than the granite would? I'd be interested to hear people's opinions and insight into this.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,343
    Darker surfaces absorb more heat - bit like wearing a black T shirt as opposed to a white one.  
    Perhaps depends on the size of the area you are talking about and whether you intend to do anything else with it......potted plants, plant borders or WHY.  Also surrounding area - any greenery ?  Presumably your area is not south facing.
    I don't think it would really make much difference in the average front garden but could well be missing something.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,342
    It rather depends what use you'll be making of the area.  Wouldn't want pets or toddlers burning their feet on hot stones.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,486
    Even light-coloured paving gets hot in the sun, so I don't think the difference will be very significant.  The light colour will look brighter when the area is in the shade though.
  • christoojchristooj Posts: 3
    These are all helpful thanks  - taking it all on board I think I can safely go with the Basalt :)